Re: Options for P2K type 21 in early 1950s

oliver

Thanks for the help Tony, Tim, and Richard. It would seem that at
least the 8K cars would best be painted in SPHX lessee schemes or for
UOCX and Shell.

Would the UOCX cars have been black with the "76" heralds by his time
or could one keep the old silver on black spelled out name lettering?
What about for Shell?. I have some lettered for RPX without a logo and
others with logo. I wonder if these are salvageable?

cheers
Stefan Lerché
Duncan, BC

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Richard Hendrickson
<rhendrickson@o...> wrote:
On Jun 6, 2005, at 5:16 AM, Tim Gilbert wrote, responding to Stefan
Lerché's inquiry:

Tony Thompson suggests:

As they are AC&F prototypes, SHPX is more suitable, though I
think there were a few cars inherited by UTL which were AC&F cars
like
these. For other leasing companies buying AC&F cars, see Kaminski's
tank car book.
On December 31st, 1954, there were 158,112 Tank Cars in the US of
which
6,929 were Railroad-owned and 151,183 privately owned. General
American
owned 48,184 (30.5% of 158,112), UTLX owned 42,121 (26.6%) and SHPX
owned 12,071 (7.6%).

As Tony suggests, GATX and UTLX inherited some AC&F design cars as
they
absorbed other private car fleets.

The distribution of tank cars, however, was largely dependent upon who
leased the cars and where were they sent. Tank cars serving an On-Line
industry could be quite restricted. UTLX was just getting into the
leasing chemical tank cars in the mid-1950's so most of their business
was with petroleum companies. GATX's, whose fleet included TCX Texaco
cars, and SHPX's lessees were more diverse serving both the petroleum
and chemical industries, and GATX was the lessor for Armour, Proctor &
Gamble, Swift and, no doubt other non-petroleum companies. If the tank
cars were meant for through traffic exclusively, then perhaps any
"plain
jane" car owner would suffice.
Adding to Tony's and Tim's observations, I would point out that while
both UTLX and GATX operated AC&F Type 21s which they acquired second
hand (and L-L produced models lettered for both), the number of such
cars was very small compared to the overall size of the UTLX and GATX
fleets, which consisted mostly of cars built to the two companies' own
designs. A model tank car fleet representative of the cars that would
have been seen in Calif. during the steam era needs a variety of cars
other than AC&F Type 21s (e.g., UTLX X-3s, '20s vintage GATX, Standard
Tank Car Co., etc.) At present we don't have models of these in HO
scale, but it appears likely that models of some of them will be coming
in the future.

As for Type 21s, both Union Oil Co. of Calif. (UOCX) and Shell of
Calif. (SCCX) had sizable fleets of 8K gal. cars (L-L offered correctly
lettered models of both, but some of the Shell cars had reporting marks
and numbers only, without the Shell emblem). 10K four-course Type 21s
were less common on the west coast. About the only examples I can
think of offhand were a small number of them owned by Chartrand's
Traffic Service (CHAX 102-109) and though Ted Culotta was making noises
about producing decals for these cars, that will have to wait until
after he has completed his coast-to-coast move.

Richard Hendrickson