Re: Combine Cars attached to Freight trains

Eric Hansmann <ehansmann@...>

--- Andy Miller wrote:
PRR PB70 combines are available RTR from Bachmann and as kits from
Eastern
Car Works. Walthers offers a RTR CNW short combine. The ECW kits
are
undec. The Bachmann and Walthers cars come in a wide variety of
roads, all
bogus except for the PRR and CNW.
Bethlehem Car works may also offer combines for the Reading or
CNJ. I don't
recall offhand.

In addition to these, there are the older styled Pullman Palace line
from MDC/Roundhouse. I have been working on a few for this same type
of service on our club layout. These are an early 20th century
prototype with wood sheathing and truss rods.

While these are nice kits, there is a buildup of flash on the window
areas. At first I thought is was the window frame, then I realized
it was heavy flash. It seems the mold and die do not fit as well as
they once did, allowing plastic to ooze a bit at some locations.

Still a decent car for $13. And it does look great trailing a mixed
freight of pre-WWII cars.

Eric Hansmann
Morgantown, W. Va.