From: Jon Miller
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, July 13, 2005 10:23 PM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Re: walking on top of a train

I remember something about in the old days a conductor would use
the valve
on the caboose to signal the engine. Any more details will have
to be from
someone who knows what is happing.

Jon Miller
There was no signal valve nor signal air line on most cabooses or
freight equipment. Signals were passed to the engine by partially
opening the brake valve on the caboose. This caused an increase in
the flow of air into the brake pipe through the engineer's brake
valve. The engineer could either hear the increase in flow or notice
a drop in brake pipe pressure on his guages. This method was used
frequently until radios became common. It was also used when there
was no caboose attached by opening the angle cock on the last car,
sometimes when the car was moving toward you. This could still be
done today but most railroaders hired from the 80's on would not know
how and safety rules would prohibit the
practice.>
Mark Vinski

of Service.