Re: D&H Panelside Twin Hoppers

Mark Heiden

Hello Doug,

Thanks for the door lock information. The D&H panel side hoppers
had Wine door locks, instead of the Enterprise locks they were built
with. With the locks being connected by a channel, would unlocking
one side also unlock the other?

Thanks,
Mark Heiden

--- In STMFC@..., "Doug Brown" <brown194@t...> wrote:
Wine locks were on both sides, right next to the doors. They
latched to
the end of the transverse angle or channel connecting the two
doors as a
unit. An example is the locks on Bowser's H21 and H22 quad
hoppers. The
Enterprise locks had a transverse shaft under the slope sheet on
one
side, which was rotated to operate a mechanism between the hoppers.
Accurail's USRA hopper has just the outside end of the shaft. P2K
war
emergency hopper instructions illustrate this very well.
Most hopper air lines hang below the right side between the
bolsters.
Some railroads ran their airlines between the hoppers under the
center
sill. PRR had only two classes, GLD (USRA) and H31 ( ,A,B&C), with
air
lines outside under the side. Some modern cars have an air line on
both
sides, the train line on the right side and the pipe to the A end
truck-mounted brake cylinder on the left.

Doug Brown