From: "al_brown03" <abrown@...>
To: <STMFC@...>
Sent: Sunday, July 17, 2005 5:08 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Alburgh Trestle

This question may sound strange, but: do the numbers of
the "Montour" cars at Alburgh match the numbers of actual Montour
cars? I ask because in Nimke's "Connecticut River Railroads", vol 6,
at least three cars are reported as "M" whose numbers (65705, 65897,
71864) are way out of the Montour number series in the 1/43 and 1/53
ORER's (nothing above 19199 in either). These are in a handwritten
Canadian Pacific switch list from 1936, for a northbound train out
of St Johnsbury (p 66 in Nimke book). But, these numbers *are* in
B&M number series (for boxcars). I'm suspecting someone on CP was
using "M" as shorthand for "(B&)M", and I'm wondering further if
anyone on the Rutland might've done likewise.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

--- In STMFC@..., "Justin Kahn" <harumd@h...> wrote:
What struck me (apart from the lone-ranger Clinchfield car, and
those M&StL
cars came a long way) was the relatively large number of Montour
hoppers
delivering coal; is it possible the Rutland had an advantageous
contract
with an operator along the Montour?

Jace Kahn, General Manager
Ceres and Canisteo RR Co.

--- In STMFC@..., "benjaminfrank_hom" <b.hom@w...>
wrote:
Armand Premo wrote:
"There is photographic evidence of NKP hopper 87304 delivering
company
coal directly in Rutland (circa 1950). Company coal was
normally
delivered at Alburgh_."

So far in the Rutland waybill analysis, out of 219 hoppers, no
NKP
hoppers and one from the Wheeling & Lake Erie: WLE 61909,
delivering
company coal at Alburgh, 10 January 1951.
Here's substantially more data, also compiled from old reports in
Armand Premo's possession:

The location is Alburgh, Vt., where the Rutland transloaded coal
from
foreign cars to home cars. The name of the document is "Report
of Cars
Arrived, Ordered, Placed and Released", and the time frame is
January
through July of 1948. The following numbers of coal-carrying
cars were
reported (not necessarily hoppers; could be gons, etc.)

B&A 2
B&LE 4
B&M 2
B&O 82
C&O 4
CC&O 1
CNJ 2
CRP 4
D&H 9
DL&W 4
ERIE 13
L&N 1
LNE 1
LV 9
Montour 33
M&StL 2
N&W 4
NC&StL 1
NH 3
NKP 2
NYC 23
P&LE 10
P&S 2
PMKY 4
PRR 39
Rutland 142
RDG 15
W&LE 2
WM 1

There's plenty of cars there that theories would tell you
shouldn't be
there.

Jeff English
Troy, New York