Re: Alburgh Trestle (view southward from)

al_brown03

It was partly my fault we got down off the Alburgh trestle, :-) so
let's climb back up & see what we know.

To summarize several people's contributions: (see if I get it right)

(1) Rutland received coal at the Alburgh trestle in hoppers of various
railroads, mostly serving the Pennsylvania and West Virginia coal
fields. (2) One of the source railroads was the Montour; to go back to
Jace Kahn's original question, it indeed seems likely that there was
an arrangement with an operator on the Montour. (3) Rutland's own
hoppers were used to trans-ship this coal from Alburgh to other engine
terminals on the Rutland. (Ben and Tim's compilations are fascinating!)

Since the Rutland is kinda small and off in a corner of the country,
does this mean anything for bigger railroads elsewhere? Well, maybe.
The Seaboard Air Line had (1/53) over 1500 coal hoppers, almost all
offset triples. But they never originated much coal on line, and "the
last [on-line] mine ... closed in 1947." (Gehrke, "Freight Traffic
Geography of the SAL", p 234) So, what were all those hoppers used
for? Trans-shipped locomotive coal?

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Richard Hendrickson <rhendrickson@o...>
wrote:
Hey, guys, this thread has been going on for a long time and there
hasn't been a word about the Alburgh trestle recently. The subject
line should have been changed to Montour Hoppers several days ago.
Doesn't matter to me, as I'm not interested either in the Alburgh
trestle or in Montour hoppers, but others on the list have doubtless
been needlessly confused.

Richard Hendrickson