From: Beckert, Shawn [mailto:shawn.beckert@disney.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 23, 2001 12:43 PM
To: 'STMFC@egroups.com'
Cc: 'branch@ntplx.net'
Subject: [STMFC] Re: War Emergency Hoppers

Bill Schneider wrote, in part:

...Based on this small sample I would have to say
that individual cars would not be uncommon on a
road with predominantly mixed traffic. OTOH, its
not uncommon to see Pennsy coal drags with large
blocks of Berwind, Cambria & Indiana, C&O, B&O, L&N
N&W and other cars. So, as far as the SSW goes, grab
all the photos you can and see what shows up!
Bill, that's exactly what I've been doing. Many a night
has been spent going over photographs and books with a
jeweler's glass trying to read reporting marks. A lot
of the pictures from that era and local are your typical
3/4 wedge shots, unfortunately. Most photographers then
were interested in the motive power and not the consist, a
common problem for us freight car fans.

I would give much to find some yard photos taken on the
Cotton Belt during the 1940's and '50's. There are a very
few out there, mostly in books, but they don't show much
in the way of detail. Ah well, the search goes on...

Shawn Beckert