Re: Beth Steel roads

Richard Hendrickson

On Jul 23, 2005, at 1:27 PM, Bud Rindfleisch wrote:

Richard and list,
Bethlehem Steel owned more than just the two roads you mentioned. I
was hired on the South Buffalo in Dec. 1966, furloughed Sept. 79, hired
out on a transfer to the PB&NE in May of 1980 and furloughed from there
Sept. 1984. So I can safely say that yes, the Philadelphia Bethlehem &
New England RR was "owned" by Bethlehem Steel Corp.
During this time period Bethlehem owned a total of 6
shortline/switching railroads. The others being The Patapsco & Back
Rivers which you mentioned (Baltimore, Md) the Steelton & Highspire RR (
Harrisburg -or- Steelton, PA) the Conemaugh & Black Lick RR (Johnstown,
PA) and the Cambria & Indiana RR (Colver, PA)
A book was recently published on the South Buffalo covering its
origins in 1899 up to its takeover by Genesee & Wyoming in 2001. This
message doesn't contain any steam era content per se, but there are
various sources of photos of steam era hoppers lettered for the SB Rwy
and I have a few in my possession that I could scan if interested. C&I
hoppers were in abundance from the steam era until the end.
Bud Rindfleisch
Thanks, Bud. News to me. I'm periodically impressed by how much information the subscribers to the STMFC list have to share.

Richard Hendrickson