Corrosion Maintenance (Was Brine Holding Tanks)

Bob Chaparro <thecitrusbelt@...>

Bruce Smith wote:

In the days of ice refrigerator cars, dripping brine on the rails
posed a significant maintenance issue to the railroads. The salt
caused corrosion of track and track components. Many railroads had
cars designed to spray oil on the track to protect them from the
brine. This is an aspect of Steam Era railroading that I have yet
to see modeled by anyone.
For me this raises the question, did any of the western railroads have
"cars designed to spray oil on the track to protect them from the
brine"?

Bob Chaparro
Mission Viejo, CA