Re: Wabash #8000-8299 series boxcars #8000-8299

Ed Hawkins

On Wednesday, July 27, 2005, at 05:56 PM, Tim O'Connor wrote:

Ed, can you give more info on this Wabash 8000-8299 series? I
never heard of this group. Who built, when, other particulars?
As it happens, that is one of only 3 or 4 issues of Mainline
Modeler I never got hold of.

Stefan, what kit did you use to model the car?
Tim,
The cars had staggered 11'-11" door openings, built 6-50 (car 8258).
The only photos I've seen are broadsides, but they appear to have the
early R+3/4 IDN ends and diagonal panel roofs. The cars appear
externally pretty much like any other Wabash postwar AAR box car with
riveted sides, except of course the addition of auxiliary doors. I'm
pretty sure they were built by the railroad, probably at Decatur,
however I don't have any early photos that verifies this. The old
McKean 40' double-door model would be the closest model except it had
the later version R+3/4 IDN ends and the side sills need to be modified.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins