Re: PFE (& SFRD) Westbound Loads

William Keene <wakeene@...>

Tim,

Did not think about swinging open the reefer doors at the freight house
into the open freight house door. Simple solution to a problem that was
not there.

And I concur with the thought of swinging open doors on adjacent tracks
that were on 13-foot, or less centers. We had a bit of trouble with
this at the paired tracks at the KCRM.

Referring to the KCT Interchange Map of 1929 (Print No.437-13585) that
is hanging at my left shoulder as I type this indicates that the KCT
referred to the Santa Fe's portion of the West Bottom trackage as the
AT&SF Ry Yard. This was also an interchange point between the AT&SF and
the CMStP&P (Milwaukee Road).

The AT&SF RY System Track Chart of Kansas City (corrected to Jan. 1962)
indicates that these facilities located at the north end of a complex
named Kansas City Yard are called;
- In Freight House... this extended from 14th Street to 16th Street on
the west side of Hickory Street
- Out Freight House... this extending from 13th Street to 16th Street
on the east side of Hickory Street. This facility had two tracks
entering from the south that were under cover.

I hope that the above adds to the knowledge base.

-- Bill Keene

On Jul 27, 2005, at 6:17 PM, Tim Gilbert wrote:

William Keene wrote:

> Tim,
>
> A good deal of the local KC LCL traffic was loaded/unloaded at the
> freight house in the west bottoms just south of the location of old
> Union Depot. This was fairly tight operating confines and most of it
> built before the 20th Century. There is the possibility that there
was
> not enough room between car and freight house to swing a reefer
door.
> Or perhaps even switch a string of open door reefers along side.

Bill,

I was referring to not enough room on parallel tracks to swing open
the
hinged doors of reefers. This was the "usual" problem at most transfer
houses where there were no permanent platforms between parallel
tracks.

Regarding KC's West Bottoms District, hinged doors could always be
opened if the reefer was set at the "warehouse's" doors. I believe,
however, that the West Bottoms area had what was proverbially referred
to as a "transfer" rather than a "freight house."

Tim Gilbert

I had written:

> >  According to page 15 of Jordan, Hendrickson, et al.'s SANTA FE
> >  REFRIGERATOR CARS, the Santa Fe had special dock facilities at
> > Argentine
> >  Yard to load reefers with LCL; I assume that the LCL Transfer at
> >  Argentine was not equipped to load reefers efficiently due to
their
> >  hinged doors (vs. sliding on boxcars), and that merchandise had
to be
> >  trucked over from the Transfer to this special dock facility.

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

▪  Visit your group "STMFC" on the web.

▪  To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

▪  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
Service.