Re: Wabash #8000-8299 series boxcars and thanks! #8000-8299

Garth Groff <ggg9y@...>

Stefan,

I see that other are ahead of me on my answer about the photos of the Wabash DD boxcars and that both the references I searched out last night have been supplied by others. I wasn't aware that the photo of 8252 Richard Hendrickson sent you was a repaint. The photo of 8252 in the Jan. 1990 RMJ is undated, but this is probably the same shot. The 1972 Szachacz photo in Henderson's CFC v. 1 is a repaint with a smaller flag herald.

By all means, do at least replace the ends of the Accurail body if you can.

Kind regards,

Garth G. Groff

stefanelaine wrote:

Tim,

In addition to Ed's comments, Richard Hendrickson was kind enough to
send me a photo of #8252 by Red Davis in 1962(repaint). As I
understand it, the cars were built in 1950 with 1/3/4 Improved
Dreadnaught ends with a diagonal panel roof. They had somewhat
uncommon 12ft door openings. The photo shows Barber S-2 trucks. There
is also apparently a 1972 Frank Szachacz photo of car #8188 in Classic
Freight Cars, Vol. I and of #8252 by Virl Davis in the January '90
RMJ/RMJ Vol. II . I don't have access to these two photos

I've got an old Mckean 40' DD car with the 12ft opening that I'm using
for this one (the ends are wrong). I guess the Accurail car is the
same. Garth Groff said he used B-Line (rolling pin) ends instead, so I
may do that and the sill needs to be straightened.

I'm still not sure of the paint scheme for the as built cars, but
perhaps the other photos will shed light on this.

Stefan Lerch�
Duncan, BC