Re: Asparagus and Peaches in SC

Tim Gilbert <tgilbert@...>

Mike Turner wrote:

With all the discussion of FL oranges, I have been wondering about the
asparagus shipments from Edgefield county SC.

My dad told me he helped load crates of asparagus into boxcars (maybe
reefers) about 1937. The one shipper in Johnston, SC, did about 2 cars a
day. Is there any way to put more numbers on this traffic and any
destinations?
How long was the asparagus season in Johnston? Two weeks? 2 x 14 = 28.

On a related subject, can anyone tell me where to look to put numbers on
peach shipments around 1950?
In 1950, 3,307 tons of fresh peaches not frozen were originated on Class I RR's in the US. At roughly 25 tons per car, that would be 132 carloads. Those approx. 132 carloads would be originated all over the nation - not just in South Carolina.

Would these have shipped via FGE cars?
Could have been in Ventilated Boxcars, too in the southeast.

Tim Gilbert