Re: Asparagus and Peaches in SC

Tim O'Connor

Tim,

That sounds more like it! Most peach traffic by rail in those days
(and nowadays) probably was canned peaches and preserves. If anyone
has information on the location of major cannery areas in the U.S.
I'd love to hear about it... I know Central California is such a
place.

Whoops! Read the Class II RR data from Table 50 of the 1950 "Blue Book"
(ICC's 64th ANNUAL REPORT ON THE STATISTICS OF RAILWAYS IN THE UNITED
STATES).

Correct number is 115,210 tons of Fresh Peaches (Not Frozen) originated
on US Class I RR's in 1950 (or at the 1956 tons per car loading rate of
15.4 tons) about 7,481 car loads.

Tim Gilbert