Re: More From the Florida Archives.

buchwaldfam <duff@...>

Thanks for the information. There was a large produce receiver a
few miles up the same branch that served Schlitz, Blatz, Pabst.
Do the wheel reports make a distinction as to the type of box car
they were (XM's or RBL's)? The Milwaukee would use standard box cars
in warmer seasons if there was a shortage of insulated cars.

Regards,
Phil Buchwald

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Tim Gilbert <tgilbert@s...> wrote:
Anthony Thompson wrote:

Since beer was quite often shipped in insulated box cars,
does this
imply that I can run PFE reefers loaded FROM the Schlitz
brewery?

Yes, though I doubt PFE and SFRD provided more than a
fraction of
the outgoing cars (and those only in certain seasons).
In the Fall 1947 UP Conductor Fraley's wheel report, there were
twenty
carloads of beer reported: - four of them were carried in boxcars;
the
other 16 in reefers with five of those reefers being PFE.

In the Fall 1946 SOU wheel report between Pot Yard and Monroe VA,
there
were ten carloads of beer reported: - all ten of them being
boxcars.

Tim Gilbert