Re: Stirrup steps for LNE hopper

Greg Bartek

Not often I see a post on my favorite RR. For reference, I have the
Train Shed Cyclopedia No.5 that contains the data from the 1940 Car
Builders Cyclopedia.

The photo in the book is fairly clear with details. The car listed,
13283, was part of the 100 car order built by Bethlehem Steel Co. in
1939 covering numbers 13251-13350. The numbers 13001-13250 were from
a 1936 order from the same company. The dimensions should be
identical though the capacity for the 1936 order is listed as 2100
cu. ft. while the 1939 100 car order lists capacity at 2062 as is
reported in the cyclopedia.

Concerning the stirrups, the photo shows that both sides of the car
as-built look to have identical stirrups. Their shape is straight and
rectangular, no sign of any angle and canted slightly outward as you
describe. It is totally different from the type of stirrup on the
Atlas 2 bay offset hopper.

I have no information, photographic or otherwise, that would verify
if and when any rebuilds changed these in the 40's. If I had to give
an educated guess, being that the LNE was fairly frugal concerning
their rolling stock, I could not see them changing the style of the
stirrup early on except maybe in the case of collision damage. I'd
change the Atlas model to reflect an as-delivered style.

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Greg Bartek

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Heiden" <mark_heiden@h...> wrote:
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to determine the proper stirrup steps for a Lehigh & New
England twin bay, offset-side hopper. The car in question is from
series 13001-13350, delivered in 1939. There is a grainy builder's
photo from the 1940 Cyclopedia available on the pay side of the
NEB&W website at:

http://railroad.union.rpi.edu/rolling-stock/Hoppers/LNE-offset-hm-
centered-logo-40-cyc.jpg

The vertical "legs" of stirrups appear to be straight and canted
slightly outwards, with two horizontal steps. However, later photos
of these cars from the 1960s show one "leg" offset towards the
center of the car, with two horizontal steps, like those that come
with the Atlas hopper. Were these cars delivered with one style of
steps, and then acquired another through rebuilds and repairs? What
would be correct for a car in the late 1940s?

Thanks,
Mark Heiden