K Brake air plumbing

Mark Heiden

Hello everyone,

I have a question about the air line plumbing for one-piece K brakes.
Many photos seem to show the air line that runs between the air tank
and the train line as running across the center sill and connecting
with the train line on the side opposite of the sill from the brake
assembly. On the other hand, I have a picture of a C&NW single-
sheathed boxcar that seems to show the air line as running from the
brake assembly up to the floor of the car, connecting with the train
air line on the same side of the center sill. Is there a typical
arrangement for this plumbing, or does it vary across cars?

Thanks,
Mark Heiden