From: pullmanboss<mailto:tgmadden@worldnet.att.net>
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com<mailto:STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, August 09, 2005 1:41 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Our stashes of obsolete models (Was: ATSF class Bx-49)

Why? What is it that keeps us from throwing bad/obsolete models away??
I suffer from this same affliction and have large stashes of old
models, detail parts, decals and half-finished projects that have long
since been eclipsed by better offerings. Yet I can't bring myself to
toss them, even though their aggregate cost was small compared to the
value of the extra time it would take me to build them into models
comparable to Branchline, Red Caboose or InterMountain. It's one thing
to cherish an old Ambroid kit for its collectibility, even to build it
just for the experience. But it's quite another to hang on to all
those old plastic freight car kits, body shells and detritus of past
kitbashing projects. The C&BT kits were the only game in town for a
while, but they were not good kits. The FRP kits were better but, as
the late Terry Metcalfe once told me, "Fred [Becker, owner of FRP]
always does 90% of a good job." My wife is no help. Last time I tried
to dumpster a cubic foot or two of Life-Like (toy), Bachmann, Tyco and
T-M shells and hulks she allowed as how the grandsons might like to
have them. What for? The 4-year old is into Thomas the Tank Engine,
and the 8-year old prefers scale rolling stock that actually runs.
When and if he's ready to enter the craft side of the hobby, I'd
prefer he start with something other than my old junk. Or your old
junk.

My name is Tom, and I have a junk retention problem.........

Tom Madden

Yahoo! Groups Links