Re: Weathering for Late Steam and Transition Era

Tim O'Connor

Truly rusted out looking, bad paint, illegible lettering was
-relatively- rare in the 1950's but was not unheard of -- and
a car that is only a few years old could get pretty cruddy in
the steam era. Yes, the bulk of box cars and reefers should
merely be "dirty" to various degrees, with reweigh stencils
and chalk marks being pretty common. In the 15 years after
WWII I think something like 1 MILLION freight cars were built
and other hundreds of thousands were repainted or rebuilt.
So in my opinion shiny NEW cars are under-represented on
most layouts. Every now and then just give one car a dip in
a bucket of Future. That should do the trick. Of course, the
date on the shiny car will pretty much fix the exact era of your
layout and the Prototype Police will put that information to good
use in their unrelenting quest to stamp out anachronisms!

Tim O'Connor

Let me give a specific example - let's say we are talking about
steel box car delivered in the late 40's or early 50's ... and has
gone thru a repaint that includes a major change in the lettering ...
and is at least 2 or 3 years after that repaint. So this car is
somewhere between 5 and 15 years old.