From: jaley
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Thursday, August 11, 2005 1:55 PM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Weathering for Late Steam and Transition Era

On Aug 11, 12:43pm, Gatwood, Elden wrote:
> Subject: RE: [STMFC] Weathering for Late Steam and Transition Era

> I would imagine, however, that in your area, things were very different.
> The RRs there may not have been in huge financial trouble, you did not
> have months of nothing by rain (made acidic by air contaminants), and
> other things that would contribute to a situation like Pittsburgh in the
> post-war period.

Do these comments about regional weathering apply only to certain types of
cars (e.g. hoppers)?

I would expect that free-roaming cars (box cars) would not show regional
weathering because they roamed "freely" across the U.S.A. I believe CIL 1
(a Monon box car) spent a LONG time traveling around the country before
coming back to the rust-belt industrial areas of Indiana.

So even if it's a PRR X29, it may have spent just as much time in the
desert southwest as a car from the FEC, MEC, or SP.

Do the photos and consist data back up my theory, or am I full of it?

Regards,

-Jeff

--
Jeff Aley jaley@...