Re: Weathering for Late Steam and Transition Era

Schuyler Larrabee

There's another reason that heavy weathering became a common thing, which I'm finding out just now.

I did a lot of cars weathered for what I remember cars looking like in the 60s, which was pretty
darn dirty and grimy, with some spots of serious rusting. This was while my interests were in the
Erie Lackawanna era, so the cars we're talking about would have been some 20-30 years old. (I was
less worried then about accuracy of built dates, reweigh dates, etc, I just like the look overall of
the cars.)

So, now, my interests having aged faster than I have, I'm more into the ERIE in the late 40's, early
50's, and my model railroad club layout's set in the mid 50's. So these cars should not be so
heavily weathered. And I'm attempting to do a light weathering job with washes of acrylics (my
preferred medium) for water-borne dirt, using Kodak Photo-flo to "wet" the water) and then
overspraying dust, grime, etc, for the air-borne dirt, and an overall coat of flat lacquer.

Frankly, it is a lot harder to do a light, but convincing job of weathering to represent a fairly
new car, than it is to do the so-grimy-you-can-barely-read-the-number weathering. Sometimes the
flat coat kills the weathering so much that it's barely there to the naked eye.

SGL