From: Anthony Thompson<mailto:thompson@signaturepress.com>
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com<mailto:STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Thursday, August 18, 2005 10:57 AM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Tony Thompson & Scale Weights

Paul Hillman wrote:
> Say, in HO scale, 87.1:1, we physically scale-down the prototype
> dimensions by that ratio. What if the car were built of the exact same
> materials as the prototype, would the weight scale-down by 87.1 also?

No, it would scale by the volume, which goes as the cube root
of the scale. That would make it roughly 1.5 to 2 ounces.

2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705 www.signaturepress.com<http://www.signaturepress.com/>
(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937; e-mail, thompson@signaturepress.com<mailto:thompson@signaturepress.com>
Publishers of books on railroad history

Yahoo! Groups Links