Re: 1950 Tonnage - Origin & Termination of Coal mined or used in PA

ed_mines

Tim's informative discussion answered a question I've had for a long
time - how far from the source was anthracite coal sold?

Most anthracite was sold in New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania -
thus the anthracite hoppers didn't go much further than that. More
importantly, hoppers from afar weren't returned in exchange for
anthracite region hoppers.

The only thin I found surprising was that so much anthracite went to
the region below

IL, IN, MI, WI 933 3.1%

Maybe rich people were willing to pay a premium for a sweeter smelling
furnace.

Ed