Re: Scale Weights - Doubt It

Tim Gilbert <tgilbert@...>

Paul Hillman wrote:

Tony Thompson wrote;

"As we saw a few days ago, the NMRA weights are not inconsistent with a loaded car."
That's my whole point. For the purpose of getting good model operation, the NMRA did extensive research into determining their recommended weights. Out of shear coincidence ( ? ) their figures are consistent with loaded car-weights?

This merely proves the issue that, in order to make my cars run well, they are NOT 10 times scale-weight, but very close to prototype-weight for loaded cars.
Paul,

What is the prototypical weight for a loaded car? Consider the following tons per carload for sundry commodities in 1956:

Wheat 54.52 tons per carload
Cotton in Bales 19.92 tons per carload
Oranges & Grapefruit 21.33 tons per carload
Lettuce 12.81 tons per carload
Potatoes Other Than Sweet 18.99 tons per carload
Cattle & Calves 10.87 tons per carload
Fresh Meat 12.51 tons per carload
Anthracite Coal 57.06 tons per carload
Bituminous Coal 59.96 tons per carload
Iron Ore 65.32 tons per carload
Lumber Shingles & Lath 43.95 tons per carload
Pulpwood 31.41 tons per carload
Gasoline 29.50 tons per carload
Fertilizers 45.61 tons per carload
Manufactured Iron & Steel 39.90 tons per carload
Iron & Steel Pipe & Fittings 37.11 tons per carload
Passenger Automobiles 7.28 tons per carload
Motor Vehicle Parts 17.43 tons per carload
Cement, Natural & Portland 54.61 tons per carload
Lime 42.79 tons per carload
Woodpulp 20.81 tons per carload
Newsprint 26.61 tons per carload
Refrigerators, Freezing Apparatus & Parts 10.19 tons per carload
Furniture 8.51 tons per carload
Liquors, Malt 29.60 tons per carload
Sugar 41.46 tons per carload
Food Products in Cans or Packages Not Frozen 26.18 tons per carload
Feed, Animal or Poultry 26.44 tons per carload
Scrap Iron & Steel 46.06 tons per carload
Car Forwarder Traffic 10.69 tons per carload

I can only conclude that the weight of a prototypical car when loaded varied considerably even among the averages - for boxcars, for instance, from 8.51 tons per carload for Furniture to 54.52 tons per carload for Wheat.

Tim Gilbert