From: Tim O'Connor<mailto:timboconnor@...>
To: STMFC@...<mailto:STMFC@...>
Sent: Saturday, August 20, 2005 8:25 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Scale Weights - Doubt It

NMRA guidelines notwithstanding, I have run cars of various
weights on several layouts and my experiences vary from car
to car. Some light cars run fine, some don't. Same for heavy
cars. The heavier the car, the more force on the "journal"
of the axle -- I have seen many plastic needlepoint axles
literally worn down to a nub because of excess car weight.
An HO sprung truck's sideframes will bow outwards under too
much weight, changing the position of the axle end in the
sideframe bearing and greatly increasing friction and wear.
None of this has anything to do with prototype axle loads.

Tim O'Connor

Yahoo! Groups Links