Re: Scale Weights - Doubt It

ljack70117@...

On Sunday, August 21, 2005, at 05:22 PM, Paul Hillman wrote:

I mean solid bearings? Do I? I guess! But, at the "Birmingham Rail & Locomotive Co." page, URL

http://www.bhamrail.com/parts.asp#locowheel<http://www.bhamrail.com/ partsasp#locowheel>
They refer to:

*********************************************************************** *****

ALCO

For 660-hp to 1,000-hp switchers with 7" x 14" friction bearing journals - Blunt style trucks

Also available: converted roller bearing.

For 660-hp to 1,000-hp switchers with 61/2" x 12" friction bearing journals - AAR style trucks

Also available: converted roller bearing.

I guess I left out the word "bearing", but I've always referred to them as friction bearings or friction journals. I guess it depends upon what part of the south one's from.

Paul Hillman
You are right. "Friction Bearings". At least that is what the RR men working in the field and on the ground called them. I never heard them called solid bearings until I got on some of these lists. That is about 45 years after I left the RRs. I am not from the south. I worked for Un Pac and John Santa Fe in Kansas. Had a friend in KS from the RI and same terms used.
Thank you
Larry Jackman
ljack70117@adelphia.net
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?