Re: Scale Weights - Doubt It

Roger Parry <uncleroger@...>

Did not NWSL produce a box car with a flywheel in it to simulate momentum?

On Aug 21, 2005, at 4:42 PM, Tom Jones III wrote:

I think that may be the only solution, short of having a powered truck that
simulates the inertia/momentum of a car. It could be completely self
contained; one would need a way to sense rotation of the wheels and a simple
computer to calculate the resistance or accelleration, etc. But, I wonder if
it might not be quite expensive.

Of course, if you don't care too much about the appearance, I would think
you could add very heavy axle weights to the two inner axles on most freight
cars. They would resist rolling, simulating inertia, and would likewise
resist stopping, simulating momentum. I don't think lead would give enough
resistance - perhaps spent uranium? I don't know if the flywheel effect
would be enough to drive the car very far, but it would be easier than
driving a flywheel inside the car with belts or rubberbands.

Tom