Re: M&StL 50 fters

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Greg Martin wrote:
One thing we don't address often on this list is the old railroads marketing approach to cars and car supply of years past. I am often reminded by the RR car applicators (still working for the major carriers) that the railroads were often ask to contribute cars to pools to assigned locations to return to for loading in order to participate in that commodity's distribution to plants on line. The theory was if you participate in the revenue you supply the needed cars to d the job.
After World War II, at least for auto parts, the pool arrangements were in the form of written contracts and numbers of dedicated cars from each pool contributor were specified. It wasn't exactly being "asked to contribute" in that case. But other pools may have been less formal, as were even the auto parts pools before WW II.

Publishers of books on railroad history