Re: dutch drop

Thomas M. Olsen <tmolsen@...>

Back in 1965 and 1966, when I was a new operator on the PRR's
Philadelphia Division I worked a lot of days at Hook Block Station in
Marcus Hook, Pa., on the Philadelphia-Washington Main Line. Across from
the tower was the Congoleum Corporation plant which was switched twice a
day, seven days a week. There were at least three sidings into the
plant off No. 5 track which accessed a number of industries between
Thurlow Yard and a point about a mile south of the interlocking.

There were many days when the yard crew had cars ahead and behind the
engine when working this plant and it was ineveitable that they would
have to "swing" (a.k.a. a "Dutch Drop") a car to get it into the plant
to a point where they could go against it to spot it inside the
building. In the many times that I witnessed this move, they never had
a derailment or a "run in" with the equipment. Yes, this type of move
was frowned upon by management due to the precision that it took to make
the move. One error in judgment of timing and either you had a
derailment, a cornering of the equipment, a run-through switch, or
possibly an employee injury if there was a derailment. The crews that I
worked with as an operator, all had worked with each other for a long
time and had a lot of experience in making this tyoe of movement.

Tom Olsen
Newark, Delaware, 19711-7479

ljack70117@... wrote:

Some times you only have one switch and it is a trailing point switch.
Or you can keep it on the wrong end of your engine and "foot board" it
until you find a run around track.
It was fronded upon by the RRs.
On Wednesday, August 24, 2005, at 07:34 PM, Ned Carey wrote:

Now for the fun and games. A "DUTCH drop". You want to get the car
the other end of your engine but you have a trailing point switch.

Why would you even want to do a "dutch drop"?

The goal is to get the car to the other end of the engine. What reasons
would there be to do that other than to switch a facing point switch.
If you
are going to do a facing point move, why not just do the regular drop?

Ned

Thank you
Larry Jackman
ljack70117@...
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?

Yahoo! Groups Links