Re: Solid, Roller & Friction Bearing Journals

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Paul Hillman wrote:
Throughout this long 675 page text, I have yet to find the
term "solid bearing". (But I'm not finished reading yet!) The only
terms found are "bearing-friction", "ordinary-journals" and "journal-
friction".
The normal term in that period was "journal bearing," which of course refers to the journal on which the bearing rests, and there was no need to distinguish between different kinds of them in service.

An interesting point though is the discussion in 1903 of, "Roller
Journals". Until now one might think that "Timken", et al, had
invented the roller-bearing in the '30's or '40's, but these old
boys were working on it like 30+ years earlier??
The roller bearing was indeed not really applied to railroad practice until the 1920s but was a known principle much earlier in mechanical design, as Paul has discovered. There was a roller bearing arch-bar truck introduced in the 1920s (for a photo, see Hendrickson's article in RP CYC 4).

I would think that the RR men knew what terms they'd chosen to use correctly.
A reasonable supposition but one with many contrary examples.

Publishers of books on railroad history