Re: War Emergency Hoppers

Tim O'Connor <timoconnor@...>

The Santa Fe used their WE hoppers for coal service on the eastern part
of the system and also for borate service on the Mojave desert in Calif.
In neither role did they go off-line much; all the photos I have show
them on Santa Fe rails except for one Paul Dunn shot of a Ga-62 at
Zanesville, OH. The Q cars were used mostly in Illinois coal service,
as were the Illinois Central's. So the generalization that these cars
didn't stray far from home rails applies out west as well as on the
eastern coal roads.
I don't have any evidence from the 1940's, but I do have plenty of photos
from the "Front Range" of Colorado in the 1960's showing a lot of hoppers
from distant owners, and lots of mixed up consists. The beet harvest in
Colorado and Wyoming was quite intense, and everyone seemed to get a
piece of the action. Cars were shanghied as needed, evidently. Pueblo
(CF&I Steel) received coke from the east, resulting in L&N and Southern
Railway and IC hoppers. C&NW hoppers are in abundance too. But Richard
is no doubt correct in the sense that 99% of Q and AT&SF hoppers were
probably on home rails 90% (or more) of the time.

Timothy O'Connor <timoconnor@mediaone.net>
Marlborough, Massachusetts