Re: The Springfield Show

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Beckert, Shawn wrote:
It's true - unfortunately - that Southern Pacific never produced
a real "diagram book" per se, although from your latest volume I
gather that they at least made an attempt of sorts.
Yes, there was a partial set of diagrams made in 1894-1898 and a couple of other very minor attempts. Never anything complete. As Shawn says, I'm reproducing the 1894 series in my volumes.

Nowhere else have I seen 25"x36" (or larger) SP paint and
lettering guides of this sort.
This is the original size of many of them in Steve Peery's collection of copies from the SP files, which I have tapped for my books, though a fair number of them are about 16 x 24". I think the originals are now at Stanford.

Publishers of books on railroad history