Re: dutch drop

Chet French <cfrench@...>

Group,

In simple terms, a drop is when the engine and car or cars go in the
same direction during the entire move. A "Dutch drop" is when the
engine changes directions to get in the clear, during the move. On
the IC we just used the term "drop" for either move. Usually the
dutch drop was made where gravity would lend a helping hand with a
slight grade. Often the brakes could be released on a car or cars,
and they would roll by the engine, unassisted. We generally would
give the cars an easy kick uphill, put the engine in the clear, and
wait for the cars to stop and roll back downhill past the engine. I
was still making this move several times a week, 41 years past the
time frame of this group.

Chet French
Dixon,IL

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, ljack70117@a... wrote:

On Thursday, August 25, 2005, at 12:39 PM, Clyde Williams wrote:

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Jones III" <tomtherailnut@c...>
wrote:
The Dutch drop was to get the car from the north end of the
engine
to the
south end (for example), but without a run-around. So, the moving
car was
allowed to roll past the locomotive that has run away from the
rolling car,
stopped, reversed, thrown the switch, and run into what was a
trailing point
switch. The switch is then thrown again and the car rolls past,
putting the
car at the other end of the locomotive. The locomotive now throws
the
switch, runs out of the spur, catches the rolling boxcar (or the
brakeman
has stopped it), and the train reassembled.

As for why - if there is switching to be done, and there is no
way
to get

My impression of the Dutch Drop was that, to get a car into a
facing
point spur, the engine sped up and then the car to be dropped was
uncoupled. then the engine sped up even more and as it passed the
switch the points were thrown and the car rolled into the spur.
This is a drop not dutch drop.

A dutch drop can be done as I did one when I was a switchman on
John
Santa Fe in Emporia Ks. Missed our engine by about 3 feet. Using a
alco
S4. It is very dangerous to do. Never did an other one.

Getting the engine far enough ahead of the car to stop, back into
trailing point spur (assuming there was one handy) and throw the
switch back would seem impossible, as well as even more
dangerous, to
do.
Bill Williams
Thank you
Larry Jackman
ljack70117@a...
You can't have everything. Where would you put it?