Re: Bob's photos

Fred in Vt. <pennsy@...>


Let me take this one step further, if you don't mind. When a car is resided with steel over the Z bracing, does the ORER still list it as Z braced?
The fellow in question is a Mopac modeler, and is having issues with photos matching nember series. I'm a PRR modeler, and all I know about MP is the express & 10-6 sleepers in pool service.

Fred Freitas

----- Original Message -----
From: Richard Hendrickson
Sent: Friday, August 26, 2005 8:30 PM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] RE: Bob's photos

On Aug 26, 2005, at 4:13 PM, Fred in Vt. wrote:

> I'm trying to find an answer for a fellow modeler up here, and
> I did not have a clue to the right explanaton. Would one the more
> knowledgable please indulge me with the difference between Z bracing,
> and what some call "exteral bracing". Not to be confused with hat
> section structural members. It's one of those things I should know,
> and can't recall it. Drat !!!

At last! A genuine freight car question. "External bracing" or, more
correctly, "external framing" is any method of house car construction
in which the framing is outside the sheathing. In the steam era, this
was common to what are properly described as single sheathed cars (NOT
"outside braced," a term that was never used in the RR industry). Such
cars had a single layer of (usually) wood sheathing applied inside the
body framing, which could be either hat section (usually Pratt truss,
with the diagonals in compression) or Z section (usually Howe truss,
with the diagonals in tension).

SPONSORED LINKS Train travel Freight car Canada train travel
Train travel in italy North american


a.. Visit your group "STMFC" on the web.

b.. To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

c.. Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.


Join to automatically receive all group messages.