Re: Kodak - Slightly Off Topic...but Only Slightly.

vgnry <vgnry212@...>

A T Kott wrote:

It is my understanding that a single 35mm black and white negative
holds the equivalent of 80 megapixels of data in "analog" form
(actually, it is digital when you get down to the molecular level).
A single 2-1/4" X 2-1/4" B&W negative holds 150 megapixels of data.
The negative is also a much better way to store data archivally -
the compact disc technology will probably be long obsolete, while
B&W negatives will still be great. I also understand that a digital
image on a compact disc will only last for about 20 years before it
needs to be removed and placed on new media. Maybe by then, a more
permanent form of storage will have been invented. A digital
picture can be transferred as a jpeg file several times before it
starts to break up - but when it does start to break up, it goes
away in spectacular fashion.

Just another example of instant gratification over craftsmanship and
quality!
I am way off topic here, but I wanted to make a few of observations about this thread:

1. I have many old and wonderful postcard and 616 size B&W negs of railroad
subjects...and absolutely no way to have them printed other than scanning/digitizing. So
longevity may well mean nothing if you can't use the stuff.

2. The idea expressed on this list several times that a well made digital 8X10 won't
measure up to a traditional wet darkroom print is simply rubbish. I have digital prints from
the Otto Perry collection that are fabulous. It all depends on what you start with and what
you do with it. A poorly made print is a poorly made print, whether wet or digital.

3. A JPG file can be transferred, that is to say moved arouund, without degrading the file. it
cannot be repeatedly resaved as a JPG because the saving process recompresses the file
each time, ultimately degrading the file.

The 'instant gratification' shot is beyond belief. The implication that all of the many
publications produced digitally, including railroad publications, not to mention the train
calendars we buy and the historical society publications that could only be done by
desktop publishing software using digitally produced images, are not the product of
craftsmanship and quality...well, what can I say....

There was a day when folks said a resin kit could never match the quality of an injection
molded model.

Bill McClure
Richmond