Re: Solid, Roller & Friction Bearing Journals

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Bill Dixon wrote:
Although roller bearings we developed quite early I don't think the
metallurgical technology was up to producing the type of metals needed
for railway quality bearings until around WW II.
Baloney. The steels used after the war for bearings are the same as in the 1920s. And the locomotives and cars which did receive roller bearings in the 1930s performed just fine. Railroads just didn't choose to use them (or perhaps, feel willing to pay for them).

Publishers of books on railroad history