From: Eric<mailto:newyorkcentralfan@...>
To: STMFC@...<mailto:STMFC@...>
Sent: Saturday, August 27, 2005 3:15 AM
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Solid, Roller & Friction Bearing Journals

Paul Hillman wrote:

"Something happened in later years for the ultimate conversion to roller-journals, probably a
significant reduction in costs in applying them to 100's of thousands of freight-cars?? (It's ALWAYS
about the "money".)"

Someone in accounting figured out that it was cheaper to use the bearings than it was to pay an
employee to maintain them. That they contributed to the resale value of the truck unlike money
'wasted' paying an employee maintaining them.

Eric Petersson