From: Gatwood, Elden
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, August 29, 2005 10:42 AM
Subject: RE: [STMFC] Wabash hoppers

Fred;
It looks like a hopper with two-piece sides, like the N&W H-2A hoppers
that were done up that way. The car appears to have been shoveled
partially out, perhaps to clear it for the re-railing/other operations
to come. You can see the centersill through the remaining load on the
floor.

Nevertheless, your comment about the door is still valid. I do not know
of any eastern gons that had these in the latter half of the 20th
century. All the ones I know of had doors in the floor, and most of
these were eliminated before WWII, probably as the reasons for their use
(customers with limited unloading means) went by the wayside.

Elden Gatwood