Re: AC&Y YELLOW BOXCAR PAINT SCEME

Tim O'Connor

The 1963 PS-1 photo shows a USRE label on the car side. Whether
this was part of some sale/leaseback scheme I don't know, but I
think a lot of USRE cars were on lease.

Anyone know when USRE got into the business? I don't recall ever
seeing the logo on any car before 1960, but they were extremely
common soon after that.

The ACY was an interesting road. They leased a lot of used equipment
which seemed to turn over about every 5 years. Since they did little if
any painting of freight cars themselves, the constant turnover of
rolling stock was what kept the paint schemes up to date.

Thanks again,
Mont Switzer