Re: War Emergency Hoppers

thompson@...

Mike Brock says:
I believe that most photographic evidence will show that during the steam
era, N&W coal trains operating on N&W tracks contained a very high per
centage of N&W hoppers. I'm not nearly so certain about the C&O...primarily
because there were certain areas where coal was, I think, interchanged
between other RRs and the C&O.
Not based on the C&O photos I've browsed--though I can't claim to be
anything like an expert on C&O.

Here, things get a bit tricky. The Prince book shows...and there is a
pamphlet published by the N&W itself supporting Prince's book...that 22
million tons went west of N&W's coal fields...basically through Cicinnati.
Now, this stuff, apparently, found its way into Indiana, Ohio, and Illinois,
Chicago being mentioned. There was a lot of plants using coal back then in
those areas. I have seen some photos of groups of N&W hoppers in trains
moving through the area but real data would be needed to know for sure. The
B&O steam tape by Heron does show 4 or 5 N&W hoppers being moved near a B&O
coaling tower in the upper midwest.
I don't claim N&W (or any particular road) didn't send hoppers off line.
What I do say is that, aside from traffic like coal to the Great Lakes, it
was only in small groups in MOST cases. Documentation needed in general.

My all time favorite, of course, is that damned
Lackawanna [ heck, I don't know how to spell it, why should I? ] hopper
behind the Challenger on Sherman Hill. Second, though, has to be the lone MP
hopper in the long string of B&O cars heading from Lake Erie back to West BY
God Virginia.
Note: one lonely hopper in each case. If you want oddballs, I have a
photo of a Reading (empty) hopper in LA in the early 1950s. Am I going to
model it? Hell no.