Re: Taylor trucks

Richard Townsend

Thanks. The Walthers cars are even on sale right now. I wonder how accurate the p/l is on the Reading model (number aside).

Richard Hendrickson <rhendrickson@opendoor.com> wrote:

On Sep 1, 2005, at 8:02 PM, benjaminfrank_hom wrote:

Richard Townsend asked:
"I have come into possession of a pair of Taylor trucks. �My
understanding is that Taylors were used exclusively (or almost so) by
the Reading. �My question is this: what series of cars, if any, would
have had Taylor trucks in 1958?"
"I'm looking for a good modeling candidate, which in my case is a car
that I can model with an available kit."

Oy. �From a modeling standpoint, Reading's pre-WWII boxcars are a pain
in the ass.... etc. etc.
Ben got so absorbed in the problems of modeling the Reading's box cars
that he overlooked a much easier solution. �One series of Reading GML
USRA-design 70 ton mill gondolas had Taylor trucks, series 23500-24499
built in 1926. �Those cars can be modeled with Westerfield resin kits
or, if you're willing to fix some minor shortcomings, Walthers styrene
models, and many of them were still in revenue service in 1958. �In
fact, I have a Col. Chet McCoid photo of RDG 24198 still going strong
and in excellent condition in December, 1957. �Of course, the Reading
gons had 70 ton, not 50 ton, Taylor trucks, but since the journal boxes
on most model trucks are oversize anyway, I'll bet the trucks Richard
Townsend has would represent the gondola trucks quite convincingly.

Richard Hendrickson

--
Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, Oregon