Re: My Naperville Presentation on Steel Reefers & Dreadnaught Ends

Jeff English

--- In STMFC@..., "lnbill" <bwelch@u...> wrote:
I have working on bringing together my presentation for Naperville
this year on the Steel Fleet of cars operated by the Fruit
Growers/Western Fruit/Burlington Refrigerator (and National)
consortium. As I was copying photos I was startled by a shot I
have
of Western Fruit's WHIX 70529, which is a 40 ft. plug door ice
cooled
car built by Pacific Car & Foundry. What is notable about this car
is
that the lower panel features three major ribs with what has come
be known the "rolling pin" taper, while the upper panel's three
major
ribs feature the so called "banana taper."

I am wondering if anyone else has seen this configuration. My
assumption is that the builder may have using up parts, or the
upper
panel could be a repair replacement.
Using up parts is the best guess I can come up with. I doubt if it
was a repair, because reefer ends tend not to get blown out.

Can someone remind me if SRE had an official name to differentiate
these two configurations, or were they both known as "Improved
Dreadnaught" ends?
AFAIK, they did not have an official differentiation in their
nomenclature; i.e., both were called the "Improved Dreadnaught End".

Should the "I" in improved be capitalized?
Yes.

Another curiosity I have noted with the plug door cars owned by
all
four companies is that the top rib of the top panel is straight
across the bottom, giving it an incomplete look. Anyone have
thoughts
why this rib took this form?
I think it was related to accommodating the mounting of handbrake
mechanisms (which later led to the rectangular top rib in my
scheme), but it's only my guess.

Jeff English
Troy, New York
One of two honorary members of the National League since 1882 (the
other member being Worcester, Massachusetts)