Re: My Naperville Presentation on Steel Reefers & Dreadnaught Ends

Tim O'Connor

As I was copying photos I was startled by a shot I have of
Western Fruit's WHIX 70529, which is a 40 ft. plug door ice
cooled car built by Pacific Car & Foundry. What is notable
about this car is that the lower panel features three major
ribs with what has come to be known the "rolling pin" taper,
while the upper panel's three major ribs feature the so called
"banana taper."
Bill, I have a shot of WHIX 70000 (from the GNRHS 1999 calendar)
that shows the weird ribs, but also a good 1970's photo of WHIX
70635 that really shows the ribs well -- and they are UNUSUAL to
say the least. On the upper panel the ribs are equally spaced but
because the topmost one is straight along its bottom edge, it
almost looks like a 1/2/3 rib arrangement.

I also have a beautiful shot of WHIX 70290. I'll send these to
you and Jeff and you can decide...