Re: Milk CARS on the Santa Fe?

MDelvec952

In a message dated 9/11/05 7:22:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
rhendrickson@opendoor.com writes:

AFAIK, milk was transported on the Santa Fe entirely in
cans loaded in either express reefers or freight reefers.
That's been my guess in the West. A big researcher of the milk biz here in
the East, I was amazed to come across occasional milk cans on front porches and
supporting mail boxes during my 1990s travals around the backroads and
branchlines of California and a couple of the square states. I looked closely at
one or two that were embossed with the names of local creameries. They had to
travel by either wagon, truck or baggage car, I deduced. I do recall seeing
somewhere an SP train on either the Lodi or Tracy branch with a milk can visible
through an open baggage door.

....Mike Del Vecchio