Re: Typical small roster for NE circa, 1952????

Tim O'Connor

- Boxcars for New England Shoe
Incoming boxcars in hide cars - about the most decrepit around. Outbound
was largely LCL.

You sure about that Tim? "Hide" is exactly that -- untreated skin
of an animal from a slaughterhouse. I think these were shipped to
tanneries, which shipped out treated leather which would have gone
to shoe factories. There are old shoe factories all over the area
where I live, and I've never seen any evidence of the chemical vats
and other facilities used in tanning. I know there was quite a lot
of tanning done in Pennsylvania, just from anecdotes people have
posted here over the years...