From: Tim Gilbert
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Thursday, September 15, 2005 1:58 PM
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Typical small roster for NE circa, 1952????

Fred in Vt. wrote:

> Marty,
>
> Start with a practical approach----who did B&M connect
> with? NYC; NH; CV; Rutland; D&H;CP; B&A just to name a few off the top.

How is interchange data relevant with the owners of foreign freight cars
on the B&M? How would an ATSF boxcar arrive on the B&M? Or a Southern
boxcar - in December 1952, SOU Boxcar #30587 arrived on the B&M probably
at Mechanicville with a load of rock salt loaded at Retsof NY - G&W. SOU
#30587 was reloaded with woodchips by the Suncook Valley RR and sent
back to the a mill in Stockport NY which is on the ERIE.

> Next would be the transfer cars --- reefers PFE; FGE;AT&SF,
> check the photos for correct items.

Who would have been the consignee for these reefers on the B&M? Most
produce reefers terminated on the B&M at the auction house in Boston -
except for Maine potatoes which B&M served as a bridge line between
Maine, New York & beyond and Mechanicville & beyond.

> Milk cars are a definite item, so long as they fit the geography.

The milk car utilization was quite similar to tank cars. Many of the
milk cars were leased to specific creameries or bottlers and ran on
fixed routes.

> Stock cars not a player in the NE in 1952.

Agreed somewhat although what stock cars there were could have been used
in pulpwood service.
<>

- Lumber came in flats & 50' boxes;

Only between 5 and 10% of the box cars in the early 1950's were fifty
feet long; and many of those 50 footers were in the automobile or auto
parts trade. 40' boxcars were the predominant lumber carriers with
automobile cars, gons and stock cars being used during times of boxcar
shortages. There was a shortage of general service flat cars which
restricted their use in the lumber trade.

- heavy machine parts, marble, etc. on flats.

Or gons during flat car shortages.

- Coal came into NE from many roads: NYC, PRR, Erie, D&H, and NH come to
mind. There were others, but at less frequent shipments.

There were three sources of coal into New England: - 1) NE Pennsylvania
and Anthracite from mines on the RDG, D&H, L&NE, LV, RDG, DL&W, CRP and
ERIE - hoppers used were generally owned by these roads although quite
often a PRR hopper was loaded at an LV mine, a D&H hopper at a RDG mine,
etc.; 2) Western PA and Northern West Virginia from mines on the B&O,
NYC, PRR, ERIE, Montour, C&I, and WM; and 3) Southern West Virginia via
ship to Boston, Portsmouth and Portland from Hampton Roads - inland
movements could be made in B&M's own hoppers - I do not know the coal
flows of Pocahontas Coal onto the New Haven RR.

- Potato season on the MEC is another thought, if your branch connects.
There is the paper industry, with hoppers, boxes, and covered
hoppers, and tank cars.

Covered hopper use in New England in the early 1950's was restricted to
cement and sugar.

- Liquor was shipped in tank cars to the Boston area for packaging, just
a side thought.

First time I have ever noted there was a liquor bottling industry in New
England.

- REA & Express cars are out, unless you have a local that
runs the branch, then only once in awhile.

REA and Express were carried in combination mail/baggage cars in branch
line passenger service.

The biggest item that you have omitted is LCL Merchandise. In 1940, I
estimate that 33% of B&M's total carloadings were LCL merchandise. In
1958, that percentage fell to 11%, and I have a document from B&M's
Statistical Department to back that 11% up.

- The caboose is a must, and some are still out there in reasonable $$$,
in brass.

On branch lines in the early 1950's, the cabooses used on B&M's branch
lines were the long narrow and wide monitor wood buggies and the short
SUF buggies. All-steel buggies were used in main line service which
required pusher service.

- Power has a lot of options >> RS1,
RS3,S2,S3,S4,F2,F3,F7,E7,SW7,SW9,GP7,NW2,
DS44-660, DS44-750,DS44-1000, and the H10-44. As for steam, no need for
anything larger that the 2-6-0, or 2-8-0. Can't picture an R1d on a
branch run.

Before 1952, most of the branch line locals outside Boston Terminal were
steam B15 Moguls, K7 and K8 Consolidations. After 1952, the B&M got rid
of steam except for commuter operations around Boston. Alco S-1's seemed
to have been the replacement choice engines. GP-7's, BL-2's and RS-3's
were mainly used in commuter service or long distance passenger runs.
EMD SW & NW units appear to have been mostly yard power with short
forays out into the Boston metro area. FT's, F2's and F7's were road
freight engines running on mostly main lines. Then there were the
passenger F2 and F3 AB passenger units which, in conjunction with the
E-7's & E-8, handled the long haul passenger service. The B&M never had
an RS-1, any Baldwin or Fairbanks Morse diesel - exception late 1950's
B&M Talgo train powered by Fairbanks Morse diesels.

Tim Gilbert

Add this to the other responses you get, then start the
process of elimination to get what you want on the layout. Good luck.