As another aside, there were a LOT of improvements that came near the end of steam that showed tremendous promise that had they been followed through might have shown tremendous leaps over then current technology. I'm sure the Pennsy foamers can chime in here. But that too is a trip off the course.

And, as another aside, yes, Richard, my understanding of the Car Construction Committee is less than decent, something that is a result of being more interested in slightly narrower and shorter cars that were running behind steam for a much longer span and having to be more conversant with certain other aspects of certain railroad in order to try to write about it.

My interests in these specific cars have to do with the possibility of finding a car "family" that might be made available for the roads that didn't have large fleets of cars liable to be targets of manufacturer (like, say the AT&SF). From your note though, it seems the approach has already been used. However, I wonder then about tank cars as that is one car type that always seems to be decried as not having proper representation in the model world due to the many variances and the uncertain prototypes so far chosen.

At 02:54 AM 9/16/2005, you wrote:
Message: 15
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 21:08:21 -0700
From: Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>
Subject: Re: A point of order - war board cousins

Bob Webber said:
. . . Bob [LeMassena]
has explained the problem, bad boiler metals caused some premature
boiler issues that caused some boiler mishaps and they figured they'd
retire them rather than reboiler them."
Yes. I did a bit of research and noted the same thing. Interestingly,
NP
encountered the same thing and they did reboiler.
While we are on "metallurgy," I will comment briefly that the
steels chosen in order to go to thinner boiler shells (thus saving
weight on these big locos) yet keep high boiler pressures turned out to
be unsuitable. It was not "bad metal" but a poor choice by the
builders, who chose the alloys used. They turned out to be sensitive to
stress-corrosion cracking under the temperatures and water chemistries
used. Had this not happened at the very end of steam, it would surely
have been corrected (there are far better alloys to use), but of course
this was not to be.

Anthony Thompson
Dept. of Materials Science & Engineering
University of California, Berkeley
thompson@...
Bob Webber