Re: The future of RP and small Resin Manufacturers?

Tim O'Connor

... if you mean eventually it will come to pass that we
everyday modeler types will be able to create masters...
NO. That is not what I mean Brian. This thread began by talking
about compensation for making masters, and it arose that there
are pattern makers out there who can do custom work. The problem
with this is that the TRANSLATION from a modeler's head to a
pattern maker's head to a resin caster's head is going to be a
risky, error prone path. But IF the modeler can specify what he
wants with drawings and specs, and if the pattern maker can do
a set of CAD drawings from that and the modeler can see they are
good, and then the pattern maker can turn on his SL equipment to
produce the masters Voila! Then the last step is the casting...

This type of thing can be done now, by custom pattern makers, but
without the CAD drawings as verification and without the inherent
reliability of the SL process, for Joe Modeler commissioning the
custom patterns is risky not only in terms of sales, but it also
is risky in terms of technical success. So this RP/SL process is
a way of assuring technical success. But like I said I don't think
it alters the cost structure significantly. I think your investment
in time & equipment is safe for now, and I hope you go ahead with
your venture.