Re: BLI vs. Walthers express reefers

Richard Hendrickson

On Sep 20, 2005, at 12:53 PM, Jon Miller wrote:

lettering color difference<
This may apply to a limited number of modelers. As I'm pre-war gold
leaf was pretty common however I would guess during and after the war it was
probably very limited, if used at all.
Jon, it's my understanding that REA changed from gold leaf to Dulux Gold paint during WW II and never went back to gold leaf, so the Walthers lettering color is correct for the late '40s and early '50s.

Also, Roseman states that the ends of the car should be black, not green as
on both the BLI and the Walthers cars<
This is interesting! Sometimes it's hard to tell the end paint on older
B&W photos as the light is striking the car at different angles.
It's not clear where Roseman gets his information but, as Pat Wider writes, he is far from a reliable source. I've just been looking at some color video transcriptions of Otto Perry 16 mm movies made in the late '40s and early '50s in which there numerous REA express reefers, and in all cases the ends are clearly olive green, not black. I'd be very surprised if that's not true of these cars in the 1930s and early '40s (the "gold leaf lettering" era) as well.

Richard Hendrickson