Re: BLI vs. Walthers express reefers

Richard Hendrickson

On Sep 20, 2005, at 5:38 PM, Jon Miller wrote:

I've just been looking at
some color video transcriptions of Otto Perry 16 mm movies made in the
late '40s and early '50s in which there numerous REA express reefers<

Richard,
Another question from those color shots (or any for that matter), were
there two numbers or one on the side.
Jon, the lettering isn't always visible in the video (the REA cars were often quite grimy, but the evidence from the videos as well as from the still photos I have indicates that the practice of applying "Express Refrigerator" and the car number to the left of the doors only dated from before WW II. In all the postwar images I have where the lettering is visible, "Express Refrigerator" with the car number below is both left and right of the doors on both sides of the cars.

Richard Hendrickson